Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Into The Void

When this morning broke I discovered that I was in the 'Old Town', a colonial Portuguese version of St-Louis, complete with balustraded backstreets and a ruined fort. I walked down to the water where there were a few rusting tankers, and then strolled around Bissau.

There's not much to see. On the way into town there were some rusting tanks from the war they had here way back in '98. The old Presidential Palace is missing its roof. As intimated earlier, there are some large official buildings, and if everything were spruced up this might not be that bad a place.

The guidebook was once again wrong about where to find the internet, but I lucked out and found this place where, for a very high price, I got a really fast connection.

I don't intend to be so lucky in the near future, since I'm heading upcountry, and this place and Guinea (where I'm heading) are pretty much, as they say, off the grid.

They say, however, that it's all quite lovely.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home